Welcome!


Monday, October 20, 2014

Peer Encouragement and Barriers to Research

I chose to write my first paper for OMDE 603 on using Facebook groups for distance learning. In my paper, I covered topics such as using Facebook groups as the learning management system as well as a device to create student communities. My purpose in writing the paper, however, was to discuss the positive effects of online peer encouragement and its potential for distance education.

Unfortunately, I found that there is a surprising lack of research on both peer encouragement and online communities in academic settings. I searched high and low for articles on online student community outside of classes, i.e. as part of a digital student union or a student support groups. The only research I could find on online communities was either from a marketing perspective or about building a sense of community in a class. This lack of research makes me wonder if the idea of low-pressure student peer support groups and peer encouragement has not be fully examined or realized in distance education.

If this is true, how does one make a case for why this type of student engagement is important? My mentor at work had suggested that I submit a blog post to an e-learning blog for consideration. For the past few weeks, I've been trying to search for supporting studies and papers on this topic. Unfortunately, I really don't have any time to truly flesh out this argument. For the past 2 weeks, I've been working on a paper for another class (OMDE 608). Another obstacle I've encountered is that many articles that look the most promising in UMUC's library are not available in full text. I have used the DocumentExpress feature, which has been incredibly helpful.

On a related side note, you will not believe the unique research you can find when you search the library for "virtual cheerleading." Thinking I had miraculously discovered some potentially relevant research, I opened DocumentExpress to find a conference proceeding regarding a cheerleading (the kind with pom-poms) fitness program in a 3D virtual reality environment/game. Not exactly what I was looking for...but thank you....

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl, sounds like a pretty big let down on the virtual cheerleading article! I don't know that I would have believed I could find an article about a 3D cheerleading game in the library before you said you'd found one.... I have actually had some trouble finding articles for my other class DEPM 625 final project/paper as I am writing it about international DL schools. I would have though there would be an abundance of articles about some of the big schools but it's been much slimmer pickings then I had expected, somewhat worrisome when the paper is supposed to be 5,000 words!

    I have heard many times that students and schools are using virtual veterans centers to supplement or replace their in person veterans resource centers. I'm surprised (though not all that much) that there isn't an abundance of resources dedicated to that kind of online student organization and the benefits to building veteran communities at schools. Those types of resources, at least from my experience so far, seem to be developed by people who wouldn't first check the research behind the idea before jumping in, so maybe the whole concept of an educational and social community devoted to student life has not really been studied in much detail yet?
    -Travis

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Travis, thank you for your comment. I actually had not considered online veteran communities while researching this topic. That would be an excellent example of established institution-wide online communities already. Thank you for the tip! UMUC actually has an online community for veterans through its veterans academic club.

      Best of luck with your paper. That sounds like a pretty hefty writing assignment! I know that it I'm stilling playing catch-up from writing a paper in OMDE 608 while balancing classwork for 2 classes, and that paper was a maximum of 1,500 words. Hang in there! It sounds like you've picked a great topic

      Delete
    2. FYI, I am "Pancakes." A few years ago, I was experimenting with blogspot but I didn't want my posts or comments to be cached in Google and attached to my name. Thus, I assumed the secret identity of "Pancakes." (Worst secret agent name ever.) I've updated my account so future posts and comments should contain my name: "Cheryl W." I apologize if there has been any confusion.

      Delete